Download our official App and practice on your mobile.
On this narrow bridge sign, the driver is advised to slow down and watch for oncoming traffic as a narrow bridge is approaching. This minimizes the risk of an accident.
What Does the Narrow Bridge Sign Mean?
Narrow bridge signs are typically triangular in shape. The sign has a white background with a red border and a black picture of a bridge. It is used to warn motorists that they are approaching a bridge with a narrow roadway. These bridges might not have enough space for vehicles to pass each other safely, hence the warning.
The Significance of the Narrow Bridge Sign
Understanding and respecting the “Narrow Bridge” sign is essential for the following reasons:
- Prevents Accidents: This sign warns drivers well in advance about the upcoming narrow bridge, allowing them to adjust their speed and be more cautious, thereby preventing potential accidents.
- Maintains Traffic Flow: By signalling drivers to slow down and be prepared to give way, this sign helps maintain a smooth flow of traffic.
- Legal Implications: Ignoring this sign can lead to traffic violations and potential penalties.
Responding to the Narrow Bridge Sign
Upon seeing a “Narrow Bridge” sign, drivers should take the following actions:
- Slow Down: Reduce your speed as you approach the bridge. This gives you more time to react if another vehicle is coming from the opposite direction.
- Stay Alert: Keep a close eye on the road ahead and be prepared for oncoming traffic.
- Yield When Necessary: If the bridge is too narrow for vehicles to pass each other safely, you might need to yield to oncoming traffic.
- Keep Right: Stay as far to the right as is safe and practical to maximize the space for oncoming vehicles.